Jan 16, 2010

What I've learned in college

4 years and $32,000 later, I've been reflecting on what I've actually learned while being in college. I've learned how to prove that the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on the surface of a sphere can add up to 270. I've learned how to create a code that returns odd integers in java. I've learned a lot of things, but there is only a handful of things that I have learned over the last four years that I consider to be absolutely invaluable. Most importantly, I will actually remember these lessons years after I've left ASU. To the people who've taught me...

How to play the guitar-Steve Cornelison, Brandon Riemersma, Ju McElroy (yay freshman year and hassy camping trip! So glad you gave me a great start)
How to skate better-Ju (and how to not feel stupid when I fall)
How to bake real food-Lindsay Peterson (and how not to cook...aka don't put a lid on boiling oil!)
How to share Jesus with strangers-Kyle Johnson, Ryan Ellis (I was so nervous that day at Rocky Point, but it was so awesome to watch your examples!)
How to drive a stick shift-Aaron Eckersley (I was so mad that time when you made me drive on the freeway, and when I was the one who got pulled over while driving your car, but it was worth it)
How to save tons of money, get things for free, have fun, but most importantly be a better woman-Sarah Short (you are the most influential person in my life and I am so grateful for the time you've spent with me)
How to whistle so loud it makes my brothers scream-Jen Clauss, Rebekah McGourty (ok so really it was Youtube, but we learned together and your encouragement made all the difference!)
How to bake the BEST cookies in the world-Chris Embrey (made my day when I actually got the real recipe for your killer chocolate chip cookies)

Funny thing is that I didn't pay a cent to any of you for teaching me what I consider to be the most valuable lifetime skills (and yes, whistling is valuable!), while I probably won't remember a thing from my classes at ASU in 2 years. But then again, it was through coming to ASU that God led me to you guys. You have all truly impacted my life and I'm forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment


 
Copyright homesick for heaven 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .