Mar 31, 2011

Doubts

Tonight in Night Vida we invited students to share with us times where they have ever doubted whether a loved one was telling the truth or would fulfill their promises. Many students shared about times that this has happened to them and how it affected that relationship. Pushing the topic further, we then asked, “Is it ok to doubt God?”

What I love about our meetings is that students are allowed to share their opinion without being judged. We got a wide range of answers, but ultimately came to the conclusion that doubts were a normal part of life. We suppose that God expects us to have questions for him, because he gives us verses like Matthew 7:8 which says “For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” He invites us to ask him questions.

My favorite part of the night was giving students the opportunity to anonymously write down any doubt or question they had about God. We explained that these will be the topics we’ll be studying together in the coming weeks. I couldn’t help but identify with some of them. Can’t you?:

Can I still be His daughter even if I keep making the same mistakes?

Why doesn’t God respond to my call or if He does, why don’t I always understand His response?

Why does God allow suffering?

Why does God forgive us?

Can I still go to heaven no matter what I do sometimes?

Why would God bless me with so many great friends?

I am so touched by these questions—not because I fear instability in these students’ spiritual lives—but because they present opportunities for God to become more real to them as he provides them with answers, sustains their faith.

Never underestimate the power of prayer! Please pray over these and the other doubts/questions the students asked tonight. Pray that in the coming weeks, we are able to have meaningful and truthful talks that address these doubts in which God will strengthen their faith. I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment


 
Copyright homesick for heaven 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .