Sep 3, 2010

5 Things I’ve Learned

It’s been a while since my last post…that’s because since then the girls have been living in our new apartment (yay!) but without electricity, hot water, or internet (one of which we will never have—hot water!) But I am totally amazed at how generously God answered our prayers to find a place. We have tons of space and a gorgeous view of the Caribbean Sea from our balcony! Thank you for praying that God would provide us with a place to call home.

So, besides figuring out how to accomplish more in daylight and without internet, what have I learned so far?

1. I’ve never played Frogger, but crossing streets in Santo Domingo is what I would imagine to be the most difficult level of the game. Cars follow no rules whatsoever and pedestrians certainly don’t have the right of way. I had my first experience on a “gua gua” (public bus) where you cram about 60+ people—so forget sitting next to the person you got on the bus with—and can easily be confused about your whereabouts as the driver takes whatever road isn’t full of cars trying to push their way through even if it means driving on the wrong side of the road!

2. Church here is a party. Our team attends Primera Iglesia de la Christianizacion Nacional where Crusade national staff, Braulio, Prospero, and Leyla, work out of. I was pleased to hear familiar tunes: “My Redeemer Lives,” “I am a Friend of God,” and “The Revelation Song,” but all in Spanish! There’s even a dance ministry who stand before the stage and praise God through movement. People aren’t afraid to praise God here and they do it with fervor. Now I just have to re-learn all the worship songs from the U.S!

3. The language barrier is a lot more of a challenge than I was expecting. While our team is blessed with 3 fluent Spanish speakers who have been so critical in helping us communicate with national staff, students, and taking care of day to day business, it has been a little frustrating not being able to understand important conversations, communicate my thoughts, and relying on others to help me. That last one is something that God is definitely teaching me how to do better and it even has brought me to a deeper understanding of how much I need to rely on Him. What this means for ministry though, is that I will need to find English speaking students to share Christ with and equip to share their faith. Please pray that God brings these people in my path, and also that He would do the same for the rest of my teammates.

4. God provides caretakers. Prospero and Leyla have been like family to us these last couple of weeks. Not only did they offer their help about things we should know about Dominican culture and the things God is already doing in their ministry, but they actually have spent sometimes over 8 hours a day helping us with our search for apartments, making dozens of phone calls to help us get settled in (setting up appointments to see apartments, setting up our electricity, fixing all the little things that are not working at our place). They are such great examples of loving others through acts of service. So for all of you who have been worried about our safety and being cared for, fear not and ask the Lord that He bless this lovely couple!

5. Lastly, I’ve learned that pioneering a STiNT team, especially never having done this kind of mission, let alone lead one, is tough and it requires me to confess Proverbs 30:1-3 “I am weary and worn out, O God. I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense. I have not mastered human wisdom, nor do I know the Holy One.” Talk about being humbled. Don’t misunderstand; I also know and am holding on to God’s promise in James 1:5 that He will give wisdom to those that have none. I have simply just been hit with the reality that all of my planning and knowledge means nothing and that if I want to see my team succeed in directing Dominican students to seek Christ wholeheartedly, I need to rely on His strength (Isaiah 40:31). Trying to give myself permission to say, “I don’t know,” asking for help from those that know more than I, or make mistakes has been a painful death to my pride…but I pray that I’m able to surrender daily to humility for the sake of God’s glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 
Copyright homesick for heaven 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .